Friday, January 2, 2009

2008 Year in Review

Looking back over the last year, it seems like nothing happened….i.e. just the same ole thing every day. But after conducting intense discovery efforts and subpoenaing the right documents (from H-bomb), I have reexamined my conclusion. Here is some of the evidence that was uncovered:

Travel:
We started the year in Salt lake with a late Christmas celebration.  

I got my skiing in, and we got to go to the standard places (restauraunts, shopping, etc.) that we always go to in Utah.

In the next couple months I found myself in:
Houston...then
Washington DC.  

These last two shouldn't count as travel per se, because I was getting beat up by my work.  The next ones count though...

DISNEYLAND!!  And then straight to...


San Diego, for some fun in the sun with Heidi's family.

Logan had his first real beach/ocean expirience.



Heidi got some kid-free time with some friends in chicago:

While she was gone, I got to play stay at home mom.  I had an awesome time.  I don't get a ton of time with the kids, so having this time was great.  We went to parks, swimming, a movie, etc.  But in the end, we were all REALLY happy when Mom came home.
  
Then I made my way back to Utah to lecture some kiddies in the colledge of Engineering at the


While in Utah I had this daydream that me and my brother-in-law went to Wendover and I won ~$200 playing craps.  It seemed so real...but I wouldn't do that, right?

To end the year we spent some time with friends in Austin for Thanksgiving, and then with some other friends in Houston just after Christmas.  We didn't take pictures though, because my friends are ugly (we should have just taken some of ours and their kids though).

Family fun:
We had us some good old fashion family fun around home.  We took the kids to a bunch of movies (Wall-E, Clone Wars, Bolt, etc.).  And we found many other ways to take advantage of the finer things in life.

We got 1 snow day in Dallas.

We visited museums.

And made it to the first MLB game for the boys.

Holiday Fun:

We found a 2-second period where the kids weren't bugging each other.

Went tree hunting, and bagged two of them.

Christmas was awesome.  Santa came through.  I was hoping for some coal as it may prove to be valuable in the near future.

Went to an awesome ICE exhibit (hopefully Heid blogs the holiday stuff...it was fun).

Kids—
Austin:
This little rat is getting so big, I can't beleive it.

Turned 7, and had a long period where his smile was a little goofy.

Started 2nd grade.

First year playing baseball, and he did great.


Awesome at soccer.


Had a long run with Karate, but has moved on to...


Gymnastics.

He didn't pick my favorite Halloween costume,

But in the end, he has straight A's and is a great kid.

Logan:
Logan turned 2.  He found his inner whineyness, but has become much more fun.

He has his own fun activities like gymboree, and now gymnastics.


You'll note that the first three pictures here are of Logan the double-bibbed drool monster.

But now, he has mostly kicked that habit.


He wore Austin's old Buzz costume for Halloween.  Austin was a year older than Logan when he wore it...and it was huge on him at the time.  Logan is a big kid, and tons of fun.

Me/Heid--

Heidi and I had a busy year.  We did many things that have been mentioned on this blog (e.g. I took the patent bar, we went on dates, and one man-date).  We settled in our house, extended our patio, and...

A man cave was born (aside from this awesome virtual man cave).  

I am sitting in this cave now watching Utah beat up on Alabama in 120 inches of HD signal.  Feels good.  Heid doesn't like this man cave much, although she spent countless hours painting it...which I really appreciate.

We had a close call...

A tornado came within 100 yards of our home, but we made it through with only a few bent trees.

We did one really nerdy thing:

Yeah, we are conservative whacko's and we went to Glenn Beck.  He was really funny.  We knew it was nerdy, so we took the above self portrait to capture the geekiness.

Also in 2008...29 years old!!!


2008 will be the last year that me and Heid are in our 20's.  We feel old, and feel like we look old...but I'm sure in 2018, we'll look back and feel differently.  I love Heidi more than ever, and it only seems to grow stronger every day.

At the end of 2008 I am greatful that we are all Alive, healthy, one year wiser, and if nothing else…we are a great family, unparalleled in its awesomeness.  

See what I mean?

There's more I could show, but I've proved my point.  I think I'll think twice the next time I say it seems like I am stuck in the rut of my daily grind.

Happy New Year!!!

5 comments:

brees said...

Wow Nate, that was really nice! It was fun to see what you have been up to all year. I am pretty impressed with the man cave, the painting is really nice!!!

Linda Barton said...

It sounds like a year full of growth and opportunity. I am thankful every day you are all safe and happy. The tornado was scary I am glad everything worked out.

I had that re-ocouring dream where you are helping Jared register for college in Texes.

We love and miss your family, we hope the best is yet to come...

Love your favorite sis,.
Linda

Linda Barton said...

Hey, when does Austin get baptized? I'll bet you're excited...it's pretty cool to see your kids grow up and make good choices.

BTW, I love Glenn Beck! I've missed his tv show...i'm glad he'll be on Fox. He came to the Stadium of Fire in '08 Jared and Katelyn went with some friends and thought he was awesome too.

The Gordon Clan said...

Loved that post! All except the comment about the ugly friends - hmmmm...that wasn't really nice to say about Jeremy and Hillary. It was fun to see all of the pictures from the whole year. Hope you guys are doing good!

The Gordon Clan said...

Oh, and those are some pretty cute Christmas jammies Nate!