Sunday, January 11, 2009

New Year's Resolutions...one week later

So here we are, one week into the new year. I've gone to the gym once since the year started...and it was packed. I imagine that if I go again, it won't be so bad anymore. This aspect of Human behavior makes me laugh. It is amazing how people make "new year's resolutions" and lose track of them after a really short period of time. It is almost gotten to the point that turning a goal into a new year's resolution is the same as relegating that goal to joke status.



In fact, to me it is a joke. Every time someone talks about resolutions to me I instantly think of an experience from back in the day (I must have been around 8 years old or so). One time my mom and dad were setting the lofty goal of trying to curb our sibling infighting (I don't remember exactly what drove them to this...and it wasn't a 'new year' type of goal, but I am still reminded of it anyway). They made the following rule: "Anyone who says the word 'shut up' to their brother or sister has to do the dishes that night after dinner."

I think the rule was enforced once, but it wasn't long until we figured out that if we all told each other to shut up with every other word out of our mouth...the rule could not possibly be enforced. I'm not exactly sure, but I think it was Julie who was bold enough to start it all. I can vividly remember how it happened. We were all sitting around for a nice family dinner and we all started telling each other to shut up over and over again...while laughing hysterically.

It still makes me laugh to think about it. After having kids, one of which is somewhat unpunishable, I can only imagine my parents frustration with this incident. But that thought only makes it seem more funny to me now (sorry mom).  

This year I can gladly say that I will not break any of my new year's resolutions. This may either be because of my awesome willpower, or maybe it will be because I didn't make any...you can judge. One thing you can be sure about is that if you tell me about your "new year's resolutions" I will act interested, and be polite, but in the back of my head I am laughing and imagining telling everyone in the room to shut up.

11 comments:

Hyo said...

Yeah...new year's resolutions are overrated. I don't make em' and nor do I try to think of any.

Linda Barton said...

I tried the "shut up" punishment in my house until I realized that I was the biggest offender. Although, I must say we were really good until our kids hit teenage years....something about it brought out the shut up in me.

I'm not a resolution fan either, that is why this year I let my friends pick mine. My 5K is in April unless I quit before then. j/k

Which kid is your unpunishable one and why?

Nate said...

Austin is, whenever we take anything away as a punishment, two minutes later he doesn't care. One time we took all his toys out of his room and we would send him there for punishment...he'd just find ways to entertain himself.

Sometimes he laughs when we punish him...little punk.

Gotta love him though, he does a lot of really good things. In fact, if he was an only child he would probably never get in trouble (he constantly bugs Logan).

Linda Barton said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nate said...

Good thought Linda...but I deleted your comment because I try not to get too political, religious, or otherwise serious, in the Man Cave.

...for lots of reasons.

Jeremy said...

Oooh. Sibling rivalry. Should we all leave the room?

Nate said...

Fighting is allowed in the Man Cave. Do you have a problem with that Jeremy, huh, do ya?

Linda Barton said...

There's no rivalry.....clearly I am the morally and intellectually superior sibling.(not to mention I'm 10x hotter)

Nate said...

Hey Linda,

morally...hopefully
intellectually...possibly

But hotter? Have you seen me lately? My Hotness has it's own gravitational pull. You should be able to feel the effects of it from 1500 miles away.

I'm lucky that my hotness is an immutable trait...otherwise Texas would pass a law against it. As it is, I am protected by the 14th amendment.

Linda Barton said...

My mistake, I thought that pull I felt was something else...Now I understand!

Did I mention my humility?

(I am pretty proud of how humble I am) :) (I stole that line from Deb)

Linda Barton said...

Hey, sorry 'bout all the comments...but I remembered something. Remember when dad would stick his finger in your ears and say "am I earrrr-itating you?"....good times...